วันพุธที่ 20 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2551

Hard Workin' (Wo)Man!

Author : Nola Redd
Today was a tough day that involved manual labor. I missed my wimpy $8/hour job. Today, I got to help dh lift about 20 sections of folding door, weighing somewhere between 150-200 lbs (my husband said most of them were probably closer to the 200 lb range). Mind you, I weigh about 115. I have no muscles other than functioning ones.This made me highly appreciate my husband, and anyone else who labors as a manual worker. I joked to my boss that I really appreciated my job, and would now consider paying him to let me sit in front of the computer and work. I also told him (again, mostly in jest) that I got a college degree specifically to AVOID working in manual labor.But today really made me appreciate those who do similar jobs for a living. Especially my spouse, who doesn't do this full time but does it frequently enough, along with other physical odd jobs. When he comes home, he is physically exhausted. On the other hand, with three children between 18 months and five years, I am emotionally and mentally worn out. Still, I suppose I should cut him some more slack.Mind you, this country is built on the backs of the blue collar worker. As a legitimate country girl who grew up in farm country, I can verify that. But despite our nations history, we tend to group the educated as intelligent and the blue collar worker as, well, not intelligent. This is quite unfair, especially since I know a large percentage of white collar workers are a bit thick between the ears themselves. I've also known (and dated, but don't tell my husband) many, many 'rednecks'. A large percentage of them were smart, hard workers, honest, and went out of their way to help others.Like any 'class' of people, there were varying degrees of intelligence among them. But, despite what the public sees, they are not any more stupid than everyone else. I know many who could have successfully held the traditional white-collar, work-with-your-mind positions. Instead, they preferred to engage in demanding work that earned them little respect - choosing instead to respect themselves. Most could not evision spending their days inside and preferred to be out and about. Me, I think I'll take the air conditioning, but still give them the respect they've earned.After an honest day's work (now I know where that phrase came from!), I think I need to turn in early. But as I snuggle in (after a very long, very hot shower, mind you), I tip my hat in the direction of those who spend each day in pursuit of honest labor.Nola Redd is an author on http://www.Writing.Com/ which is a site for Love Poetry.
Keyword : blue collar, country, music, work, employment, white collar, money, income, redneck, hick,

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: